Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Grey Green Blue: Mason Lake Campout


Every summer my family goes camping at Mason Lake. The company where my dad worked for about 40 years before he retired has a private campground there for employees, retirees, and their guests. It's a really wonderful campground too—I feel blessed to have grown up summers there surrounded by extended family and friends. 


This year, it was cool and damp and grey, despite my hot sunny drive over to the lake. It was too cold for water sports or swimming so they fished and I drew. 

The lake schedule is like this: we always go in August, usually for more than a week (in recent years since we've had jobs, my sister and I go up to join our parents and whoever else on weekends) (actually this year I don't yet have a job, but I had to cat-sit my parents little Azure, the siamese princess.) We go for the fourth of July when we can, and go out in the boat to watch fireworks over the lake. This year we'll try to go again in September. It was kind of an off-feeling year. As September approaches, I'm feeling more and more angst over getting a day job. No flitting back off to school this year! All my uncertainty of what I'll do and where I'll live is really starting to build up. I don't know what is going to happen. But, as my sister pointed out when I was venting about this last night, maybe I can see this as exciting, because anything can happen. 


4 comments:

Kim said...

Anita, you are SO wonderfully talented! I like this post because it reminds me of when I got to go. So many good memories :)

Melissa P. said...

Anita, your artwork is so beautiful! You are very talented and I hope to see more of your artwork!

~Melissa

Vidhya said...

this is all so foreign to me. Camping? Fishing? But Im glad i can experience it through your drawings!

Anita Landree said...

Thank you Kim! I love the memories! Thanks Melissa, you will definitely see more. I can't stop! And Vidhya, I wish you could come here and go camping with us! I think you would like it despite your love for the great indoors.